You must have heard of the term fiber optic cables thrown around anytime you read about internet connectivity. If grasping knowledge about the internet is not your forte, then the word fiber can remind you of some Raisin bran, no? Luckily for you, this blog post is not really about breakfast and the cereals accompanying it. It is more about the technical stuff involved in the fiber optics world.
When fiber optics use matter
In telecommunication, shiningfiber is a fiber optic line used in transmitting data. Usually, it takes the form of light shifting from one point to the other. When it comes to fiber optics communications, point A implies the origin of the source. It could also be termed as the node. On the other hand, point B could be your home or residential area.
That said, two primary types of fiber optic cables should come to mind any time fiber optics are being discussed. The single-mode fiber optic cables and then the multimode fiber optic cables. Here, the process involved in the workings of these cables may be complicated. Therefore, to simplify the processes for you, the essential concepts have been included in the following paragraphs.
a. Why the single-mode fiber?
As its name suggests, single-mode fiber has one strand of element (usually glass). But it utilizes two frequencies in sending as well as receiving data and any other information. This would only imply that your data shall remain clean for quite some time. Single-mode fiber also carries a high bandwidth level across various distances, usually long.
b. Why the double string mode fiber?
Below are reasons for use and facts around double string mode fiber.
- The double mode fiber cable, as its name suggests, is slightly more significant compared to the single-mode fiber. It has a slightly larger diameter and utilizes two fibers while providing you with relatively higher bandwidth.
- A dual-mode fiber cable is not ideal for long-distance use. That would be roughly up to 2,000 feet. The reason behind it is that the several light paths available can distort the receiving end of things.
- Fiber internet connections are known to work at peculiar speeds of about 1 to 2 gigabits for every second. That is, roughly about 90 times faster than the older copper wires.
- Additionally, copper wires that have been used since time immemorial to transmit voice are limited when it comes to the data amount they can handle. This factor makes fiber cables an ideal choice for professionals in the business of fiber cables.
- Fiber optic cables are an affordable alternative to connectivity. The overall maintenance costs are generally cheap. Fiber is, additionally, a long-lasting solution to internet connectivity. It requires little maintenance compared to others. With time, the maintenance costs decrease.
Fiber’s strength is traced back to the manufacturing process used. Most of the fibers are made of melted silica. The material is put in a pot by pouring it into a mold. After that, it is cooled to prevent crystallization. Fiber optic cables are cheap and easy to maintain.